Friday, March 24, 2017

Distress Oxide Testing by Lynn Good



Hi everyone, I was super excited to get my Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Inks and decided to have a play around and share this with you.  (A little warning - there are alot of photos so you may need a cuppa!)  All the samples below have been sealed with gloss medium, I found that this enhanced the colours especially on the black cardstock.




This first one is using a gloss pearl cardstock which is quite thick.  I applied the oxide ink directly onto the card stock and them blended it with a bit of water and baby wipes.  I dried this and whilst drying, dripped water droplets onto the cardstock.




These two above were so much fun - I have used water colour paper and applied the ink to my craft mat 3 colours at a time, spritzing them with water and then placing the water colour paper on top.  I kept doing this with different colours, drying in between each layer.  The first few layers I swiped the paper through the ink, the top layers I dabbed the paper into the watered ink.  I also spritzed the paper as I was drying the layers.


This was using only 3 colours and on canvas paper.  The ink was placed on the craft mat first and spritzed with water before running the canvas paper through the ink




These final three are using black cardstock and all use the same technique but different colour combinations.

I have turned some of the backgrounds into cards:



For the card above, I have used the 49 and Market stamp from the Gabi's Haute Couture Collection.  I have stamped onto white tissue paper and adhered to the cardstock.  I wanted to see how much of the ink showed through the tissue.   In the sample below, I have stamped the image directly onto the card.  As the background was very busy I have added some Glass Beads, Micro Beads, Nuvo Crystal drops and glitter to the dress and flowing below the dress to complete the card.



Again, as with all the cards I have kept the embellishments simple to let the backgrounds shine. To the card above, I have added 49 and Markets flowers and a simple rub on sentiment.


I have backed the card above with red cardstock to make the black more predominant.  I run the black inked card through a We R Memorykeepers, Geometric Embossing folder for added texture.  The flowers are Prima Flowers and a simple "hello"sticker stuck to red cardstock and fussy cut out.


Again keeping it simple - I have added some black twine behind the 49 and Market flower and embossed a Kaisercraft Wooden Flourish word with Stampendous Embossing Enamel.

Here are some close ups of the cards:








I hope that you have enjoyed my testing of the Distress Oxide Inks and I can say they are fantastic and highly recommend you get them if you are having any doubts.

I have added links below to all the products that I used.

Til next time - Happy Crafting.





6 comments:

  1. Wow Lynn - your many samples really show what these oxide inks can do - thank you so much for your ground work! As I had used the Gabi ballet dancer stamp earlier this month, I especially loved seeing what you had done with one of your backgrounds - stunning! I love the one stamped directly onto the inks - perhaps I'll have to succumb to the lure of the oxides after all - I'm so weak:( Great examples Lynn - thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you Lynn - they are fantastic and so much fun to play with. Love those gorgeous detailed shots you've added at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful - thanks for all the ideas and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous....Just got my delivery of Distress Oxide inks from SBB today and going through your post has been a great help...!!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10