Monday, January 9, 2017

Hibiscus Happy Birthday

Ann here today wishing you all a very Happy New Year with my first card for 2017.  With summer heat scorching us all here in Australia, it seemed fitting to create a card with the riotous colours of the hibiscus!


I also wanted to give my card a very free feel, so just splashed about water colour paints to 'fill in' the petals, allowing paint to spill over outside the lines.



My close up here clearly shows the 'mess' - I rather like the randomness of the colours, and thoroughly enjoyed creating this card:)


1.  On a piece of watercolour card stock, stamp out the chosen images from the Altenew stamp set:  Wild Hibiscus.  I created a mask for three images, allowing to overlap the stamping.  Because this was to be watercolored, I stamped with Versafine Onyx Black ink.

2.  Apply clear water to one flower at a time, and add your colours to the water, swishing it about till you are happy with the result.  I limited each flower to two colours - I didn't want to be too flamboyant - and as there were three images, I kept to three main colours overall.  I used Zig Clean Colour Real Brush markers, but you could also use Distress Inks, or any other water colour pigment you have on hand.

3.  When the flowers were dry, I added a little more clean water to the background and added colour sparingly, again keeping to the three main colour choices.

4.  When the panel was perfectly dry, I die cut a stitched square, and then stamped the sentiment in Versafine Onyx black, using the Misti, so that I could repeat stamp it to obtain a strong image.  The set I used is by Mama Elephant:  Labeled Messages.

5.  I adhered fun foam to the back of this panel and attached this to a contrast square slightly larger than my stamped panel.  Panel is 10cm square, and the teal-coloured mat is 11.5cm square.  Then adhere these to a white card base 13.5 cm square.

I hope you give this fun technique a try - I can guarantee you will love the freedom of it, and you can create a completely unique card!

Thanks so much for visiting here today - and happy crafting in 2017!




Supplies available from Scrapbook Boutique:




3 comments:

  1. Just lovely! Anything with the word water makes me instantly cooler at the moment...although yesterday in Melbourne was much more pleasant than the previous few days lol. Have a lovely day. Cheers Donna Z :)

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10