Sunday, January 10, 2016

A Watercolour Happy Birthday

Hi Everyone - it's Ann here for my first post for the new year and I'm excited to be showcasing the beautiful stamp set by Altenew:  Peony Scroll. This set contains several pretty floral images, plus branches, leaves, and scrolls.  I'll be using this stamp throughout the month, trying for different looks and techniques.  So keep posted and check this stamp set out!


My first card uses my current favourite medium - watercolours, to achieve a very soft look, which is how peonies often appear.

and here's a close up of those beautiful flowers:


This is how I made it.

1.  Firstly, because there are so many individual images in this stamp set, I arranged them on my card front, to decide exactly where to stamp them.  I even took a photo on my phone, so that I could remember where they all went - but you wouldn't need to do that would you?  It would also be a good idea to stamp on scrap paper, to be sure you're happy with your layout.

2.  With these preliminaries out of the way, I swiped my watercolour cardstock with an embossing buddy, or powder tool, and stamped my first big flower (top) with versa mark ink, and heat embossed with white embossing powder.  I then placed a mask (previously cut out) over this flower, so that I could add the sprays of leaves closer to the flower.  I then moved on to the second flower, and added the scroll leaves as well.  I find it 'safer' to heat emboss as I go, to avoid smudging the versamark image.

3.  Before actually painting the stamped images, I created a pale blue wash around them, as from experience, it doesn't always work out so well if you try to do this after all your colouring is complete!

4.  Making sure the wash area is completely dry, move onto painting each flower and leaf, with your chosen colours.  I used my Zig Clean Colour Real Brush watercolour markers, but of course, use whatever medium you wish.  I managed to have an overnight between my first layer and the completion of my colouring (because I often craft at night) so it was easy to see how the colour appeared when it was totally dry.  I then went in to each image and added colour in layers, until I was happy with the result.

5.  There is no sentiment in this stamp set, so I chose a simple stamp (Stampin' Up! Silhouettes and Script) which I simply trimmed out with scissors.  I liked its simplicity against the scrolling flowers.

6.  Trim the watercolour piece to fit your card front - I again used a stitched rectangle die, and adhered foam behind it before adhering it to my card.  I chose a pale blue for my base card.  Add a few sequins or embellishment of choice and you're done!

Thanks so much for visiting today and happy crafting!


Supplies available from Scrapbook Boutique:



3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. I'll keep an eye out for my of your creations with this set.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10