Saturday, December 12, 2015

Scribble Roses

 You may have been seeing a lot of these Scribble Roses around on the web, but I have just purchased the overlays (the dies were not available at the time) so I couldn't resist using them asap!

My aim was to create a pretty card, which could be used for a birthday or just a happy hello to cheer up a friend, so of course my colour of choice was pretty pink!


Another pic showing the dimension and sparkle :)


There are quite a few steps involved in this card, but they aren't all necessary - so leave out any layer you don't need, and just create the roses and a sentiment.  But for those who like to know how it all came together, please read on!

1.  Die cut the overlays and put them aside.  They come as a set of 3 but I only used the two smaller ones on this card - the larger rose was used on another card (see below).  If I had been able to use a die cut for the base, I would, but as I don't own them yet, I used the negative space of the overlays, placing it over watercolour paper.  I then 'painted' the open space with clear water and removed the 'stencil'.  I then smooshed distress inks in my chosen colours - Spun Sugar, Worn Lipstick and Festive Berries onto an acrylic block and added them to my wet base.  Start with the palest colour and use only a very small amount of the darker colour.  As the paint dried, I added a few darker swirls with my brush. Once dry, they were easy to fussy cut.

2.  Die cut some foliage - I used Spellbinders 'Foliage' set.  Fold up the leaves slightly, add some glue  down the centres and sprinkle with Glass Glitter by Art Ingredients.  This gives a very chunky look, which offsets the pink:)

3.  My base layer is really 3 layers - first, use texture paste coloured softly with Worn Lipstick, and press over the Tim Holtz stencil Faded Dots onto watercolour paper.  Allow to dry.  Die cut the French Lattice cover plate by Cheery Lyn in white cardstock.  Finally create a frame by die cutting 2 consecutive stitched rectangle dies at the same time from white cardstock.

4.  Glue the rose overlays over their corresponding dry painted bases, and assemble the rest of the card.  Adhere the lattice to the back of the frame and trim to size.  Cut the dotted pink base to size and adhere to the stitched frame behind the lattice.  Adhere all this layer to a card base just slightly larger than the finished frame - mine is 10.5 cm x 13.7cm.

5.  Arrange the roses in one corner, adhere the smaller one with glue and pop up the larger one with foam dots.  Tuck the leaves beneath, using liquid glue. 

6.  Stamp the sentiment, from  MFT's 'Polynesian Paradise' in Versamark ink and heat emboss with silver embossing powder.  Cut a banner at one end and tuck the other end into the flowers, adhering with liquid glue.  Add a couple of enamel dots as an accent.

Wow - that was long - congratulations if you are still here!  In spite of the length, I hope you like the idea of creating your own funky flowers.  If you check on my blog, you will see another card I created on the same day, but with only one layer!  That one is for my elder daughter, whose birthday falls on Christmas Eve!  Best Christmas present ever!

Thanks so much for visiting - and happy crafting!


A 'twofer' today!  Back with the largest rose overlay card- same supplies, same process,  simple design, with some added designer paper from the Kaisercraft 6" x6" paper pad, Silver Bells.





Supplies available from Scrapbook Boutique




5 comments:

  1. I love all the layers and your roses are awesome, what a great way to use what you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cards are so pretty and I love all the layers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't got the roses as I have the circles and I keep telling myself that one set is enough, am I wrong? lol. These cards are so beautiful Ann, loving those pretty colours and of course the added shimmer is always a hit in my book!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10