Thursday, November 12, 2015

Happy Birthday with Mama Elephant

Hi there, it's Ann here today to share another birthday card with you:)  This is somewhat different for me, as it's not pretty, it uses a flower stamp set but it's not flowers, and it's orange!!  So what is it?

It's created using a fun technique, using dies as a mask, and lots of fun spongeing.


These are the steps I used to create this card using ME Freestyle florals - stamps and dies:

1.  Prepare your masks.  If I had masking paper it would have been simpler, but I didn't when I thought to make this (it's now on my list!) so I die cut the various leaves and seed pods with layering weight cardstock.  I made them removably sticky by dabbing Tombow mono multi glue to the back, and left to dry - at least a couple of hours (easier to leave it overnight).  I now had plenty of masks to adhere to my watercolour panel.

2.  Sponge the watercolour panel with your choice of medium - I used Distress Inks in Spiced Marmalade (all over) then added Ripe Persimmon and finally Festive Berries nearer the edges.  Keep blending until you have achieved the intensity of colour you are aiming for.

3.  Remove the masks (it's magic to see how effective these homemade masks are!) and then stamp the matching images in the white spaces, with Versafine Onyx Black ink.  I did try to line up the images, but really, I don't think it's a problem if they don't.  It adds to the 'free' look of this random panel.  I also added little details with black liquid pearls to some of the images.  My thought now is that it could also look good with splashes of water on the coloured background.

4.  I trimmed my panel with the stitched rectangle die from the ME Basic Set and mounted it on black cardstock, allowing a 2mm border all round.

5.  Adhere this panel to a folded card base measuring 10.4cm x 13.8cm.  You will notice my card is not as long as our standard Australian card base - this is because I like to keep the balance of the stitched die, and simply cut off about 0.7cm from the bottom of my standard card to keep a consistent border all round.

6.  For the sentiment I once again used the 'happy' script by Memory Box, cut from black cardstock adhered to black fun foam.  This gives sufficient dimension to the die cut, without the need to cut the die multiple times and adhering them together.  I have found that I can get a bit messy with this method, so use the fun foam whenever I can.  You can see on my card that it keeps its shape pretty well, and no sign of sticky glue on the front:)  I then added the 'birthday' stamp from my Stampin' Up! stash.

That's it from me today!  Thanks so much for visiting, and happy crafting!



Supplies available from Scrapbook Boutique





4 comments:

  1. What an awesome card Ann! Love this technique and it looks fab with these stamps and that gorgeous blending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so cool - love that technique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous Ann, love how you have left the stamps as line art and coloured the background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your card and that background is such a beautiful colour <3

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10