Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Happy Birthday from the Woods

Hi there!  It's Ann here today to share with you a little birthday card I made using Mama Elephant's stamp set, Woodland Gifts.  I thought it would be the perfect excuse to create a shaker feature on my card, using my new toy  Photo Sleeve Fuse tool:)  I have had my eye on this tool for quite a while, this tool allows a lot of flexibility for displaying your photos, as it literally fuses the edges of your photo friendly plastic sheets at whatever size you need.  In this card, I used them to contain the confetti in my shaker - it is not bulky at all, and the confetti does not move a lot, which is fine, as they tend to stay visible in the window.



Here are the steps I took to make my basic 10.5 x 14.5cm card:

On a piece of blending paper, stamp the critters in Memento Tuxedo Black if colouring with Copics, and here I used cool greys for the rabbit, warm greys for the racoon, and earth colours for the bear.  Once coloured, fussy cut them out and set aside while you make the shaker element.

Choose some pattern paper to complement your animal colours (I chose an aqua all over design from the Echo Park paper pad:  I Love Sunshine).  Cut the paper to fit the card front, and using a die shape, cut the opening for the shaker.  I used a small square, as I had other dies in the set, from which to cut a frame.  This of course could be done by hand using a craft knife and ruler.  

On the actual card front lay over your pattern piece and lightly mark where the window will be.  Put aside the pattern paper piece, and gently sponge a background to your woodland scene, using distress inks - mowed lawn and broken china.  You can make the sponged section larger than the window, as it will be hidden by the card front.

Shake your confetti into an open photo sleeve pocket by Waterfall, and when you are satisfied with the amount of confetti inside, seal up the opening with the fuse tool.  All instructions are included in the tool packaging, but as it suggests you allow 10 minutes for it to heat up, you may wish to plug it in at the start of your project.  It worked like a charm, and there was no fear of my confetti escaping, so I used sticky tape to adhere it directly over the background created on the front of the card.  I also added a scrap of paper to suggest grass at the bottom of my window.

To adhere the front of the card (pattern paper piece) cut fun foam slightly smaller than the paper, remembering to cut the same window out of it, adhere the foam to the paper then adhere it to the card front.  If you choose to add a frame to your shaker window, you can do this now.  

Stamp a sentiment (mine is from the same stamp set) adhere in place, and then add your animal critters using adhesive foam squares for dimension.

You will notice I did not adhere the pattern paper to any card stock - this is because I used fun foam as an all over backing, and the paper quality was so strong.  If using lighter/thinner paper, I think it would be better to adhere it over card stock.  Another note to make is that because the confetti is sealed inside the pocket, I did not need to worry about adhering foam carefully around the shape to enclose the confetti, which made this shaker very easy to create.  With just the front popped up with the fun foam, it does not seem at all bulky.

Thanks so much for visiting - my apologies for making the instructions a bit long!!  I do hope you'll take a look at this lovely stamp set, and consider using it to make a shaker card like I did:)

Happy Crafting!




6 comments:

  1. This is so cute Ann. And your new 'toy' looks cool too. I have seen a few people use them for shaker things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous shaker card Ann and very cute images. Thanks for the detailed instructions. Look forward to seeing you create with your new toy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had so much fun creating this Ann, what a cute design (ps maybe I need a fuse too lol)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it Ann! Such a sweet set and love the shaker feature.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10