Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Dad You're the Best

Fathers' Day is just around the corner, so I thought I should make a card in honour of those wonderful Dads out there whom we appreciate so much.  I don't think many dads would like to see all the bits and pieces we often add to cards, so I focussed more on a technique and a trend for my card today.  The trend is the diagonal feature, and the technique is stamp 'kissing'.  For the interest in my background panel, I wanted shapes that were interesting, so I found a circular stamp shape, but it was too flat, so I found another stamp that had fine rays around it.  Inking the flat stamp up liberally, I then 'kissed' it with the ray stamp, which took away some of the ink, and when stamped on my background, it had the look of a sea shell.  So if you haven't seen this technique before, or haven't tried it out, you might like to experiment and come up with some interesting 'new' stamps:)

 The shell appearance can be seen on the grey and red shapes better I think.  Any small pattern could be used.


Begin with a regular A2 card - 10.5 x 14.5cm.

Mark out the approximate area to be seen as the background - and stamp your selection of shapes.  For masculine cards, I try to find more graphic shapes, but there are many stamps you can use if you think outside the box. I selected the solid image from MFT's Scribble Flowers - ssh, don't tell the dads!  Stamp randomly, using the colour scheme of your choice, and fill in the gaps with a small shape - stars were perfect for my card.

Take a piece of white card large enough to fit the front of your card, and slice it diagonally with your paper trimmer.  If you like the stitched effect, try using any die you have with stitching,  just cutting one edge with it.  I've included a link to MFT's banner stack below,  as you could use the long edge of the largest size for this card.  Of course you could actually stitch, or just leave it plain.  Trim the top and bottom edges to fit your card.

Stamp your sentiment on the bottom panel,  following the diagonal edge, or both top and bottom, or use a die cut word as I have done.

Use foam tape or fun foam to pop up your front panels - and adhere in place.  Decorate the front as needed.  I continued with the star shapes, punching them out of coordinating card stock.

A simple card for the men in our lives but one they might appreciate:)

Hoping all fathers enjoy their special day!  Happy crafting everyone!


Supplies from Scrapbook Boutique:




3 comments:

  1. Fabulous card Ann. Great technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that it's bright and cheerful but not too fussy. Perfect for a man! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10