Sunday, July 12, 2015

I've Been Missing You

Hi there!  It's Ann back with another coloured image, this time from Mama Elephant's stamp set:  Potted Pretties.  Last month I used the strawberry pot, but the rest of the images in this set are of succulents and cactus plants, so this time I have grouped them, as you may find in a courtyard garden.  Pots look great grouped together and I so enjoyed colouring this little bundle!


These are the steps in making this card:

1.  I used watercolour paper, as I intended to use paint to colour my image, so you will need a panel big enough to cover the front of an A2 card.  Adhere this panel to a solid board (I use a wooden cheeseboard for this) using a low tack tape, such as painters tape.

2.  To make a pleasing group it is better to place some elements in front of others - I chose the little cactus as my foreground plant, so stamped it in Versamark, heat embossed it in gold then stamped it out again on a post it note, cut it out and used that mask to cover the image while I stamped the two pots behind it with Versamark and heat embossed them.

3.  Wet only the area you wish to paint, so that you contain the colour to a small area you wish to colour, and have fun laying down your colour!  It's a good idea to move to a non-adjacent area for your next colour, to avoid the paints running into each other and allow each area to dry before filling in next to it.  These images were pretty easy to colour - I just use a children's watercolour paint palette as I don't consider myself proficient enough to warrant outlaying large amounts of money on more professional supplies, though I may do so in the future.  Of course you could use any medium - colouring pencils, alcohol markers or Distress Inks - whatever you fancy or are comfortable with!

4.  When my pots were dry, I used clean water to wet the cardstock around the pots, and allowed some blue paint to run through the wet area to create a light wash.  I felt that was enough to ground my image.

5.  When completely dry, run an embossing buddy over where you wish to stamp the sentiment using Versamark, then heat emboss it with gold embossing powder.

5.  Using some gold/orange paint, and a fine brush, flick spots over the top part of the card, to create spatters.

6.  Gently remove your panel from the board it has been drying on, and cut it out to fit your card front.  I used Mama Elephant's Basic Set die, as I love the look of the scalloped edge over a coloured card front.  Using fun foam behind this panel to give it dimension, I adhered it to the card front with Tombo Mono Multi glue.

I hope you like the look of these plants and consider buying this set for yourself.  I have found that many cardmakers are also garden lovers, so there will be ample opportunity to make cards for your friends!

Thanks so much for visiting - and happy crafting!


Supplies used for this card available at Scrapbook Boutique:


3 comments:

  1. Such a sweet little arrangement of watercoloured pots Ann. Love the scalloped edge too.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10