Friday, April 17, 2015

My family tree by Judith Armstrong

Good morning. Genealogy is my biggest passion and one of the reasons I took up scrapbooking. However, I haven't actually done that many heritage pages so when I saw Bo Bunny had brought out a Heritage collection, I jumped at the chance to have a play with it and get a few more of my family history layouts done!

The first layout I am going to show you this month is actually using the collection to create a family tree, something I've wanted to do for a long time. There are two beautiful pieces in the collection - Ancestors and Anthology, which can be placed together to create a tree running up the middle of the double page.



I decided to create a tree going back to my second great grandparents but you could just go back to your great grandparents and space the boxes out a bit more or include bigger boxes and more detail.
I cut boxes 3cm by 7cm. For the male ancestors I used the red history pp and for the females I used the reverse of the Ancestors paper, which is green. (One of the advantages of having the collection is that there are 2 pieces of each paper).
For the name plates I created some boxes in Microsoft Word 2.5 cm x 4 cm and entered the name, date of birth (where known) and date of death (if known). I then printed them out onto the Heritage patterned paper and cut them out. 
I am lucky in that I have quite a lot of photos of my ancestors, some branches anyway, so printed out some mini head shots for the ancestors that I had photos for and just used a generic silhouette for the ancestors I didn't have photos for. These are sized 2 cm x 2.5 cm. Again I created these in Microsoft Word. To do this I inserted a shape (rectangle) and created the size I wanted. Then I formatted the shape (right click on shape and choose Format AutoShape) and chose 'fill effects', and then chose picture from the tabs and selected the picture I wanted to include.

I placed the photo and name plate in the appropriate coloured box and then stuck them to my page in a branch formation, with me at the bottom centre (I had to cut my box into two pieces and placed one on each side of the middle). 

Here is a closer look at each side



I used Bo Bunny Gold Pearlescent to create the lines between the generations.



To finish off I used some Bo Bunny Wasabi Glitter Paste through stencils from the Bo Bunny Love stencils.


I hope this has inspired you to create your own family tree


SBB Products Used : 





6 comments:

  1. Beautifully done Judith and something so special for your family to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This project is so interesting Judith - and your helpful advice as to how to create data boxes is really useful. Your family tree is looking very special - thank you so much for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea and project.

    Hugs diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous. Love what you have done. Thanks for sharing. Some great tips to.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10