Sunday, February 14, 2010

CRAFT VINYL......It has so many uses & you don't even need to own a CRICUT or SILHOUETTE Machine to use it!

Hi Everyone,
I found a fantastic review (courtesy of Craft Critique) & thought I would share it with you.
If you thought craft vinyl was only suitable for wall decor you will be amazed at the ways it can be used even if you don't have a Cricut or Silhouette Machine.

This is Craft Critique's Review:
One of the most intriguing craft products of the past few years is craft vinyl. If you have a Cricut or a Cuttlebug, you have at least heard of craft vinyl- it's often marketed as an add-on, however, it's a versatile product and can be used in different craft applications.

For those who are new to this product, it is essentially a sheet of vinyl that is coated with re-positionable adhesive on the back, which is then adhered to a paper backing. Traditionally it is sold in packs of 2 12"x 24" sheets, (Cricut brand) or 3mt x 9" (Silhouette brand) and it will adhere well to any smooth surface. Furthermore, it is removable from glass, mirrors, plastics, and painted surfaces.


My first craft attempt was embossing, just because it's not often used for that purpose. I ran a small piece through my Cuttlebug, and it embossed beautifully. I mean, really gorgeous. I used the sheet to cover up a logo on my little plastic flashlight. I also noted that it was easy to remove from the backing sheet...and that the backing sheet itself was pretty cool looking!

Next I ran it through my Cuttlebug with a word die. It's a pretty dainty, and I wondered if the vinyl would pull away from the backing. As you can see, it cut very nicely.
I really like the idea of cutting words or phrases out in vinyl and then using them on cards as stickers- much easier than cutting things out in paper and then trying to find the right adhesive to attach it.

Next up was paper punches. I used a large flower punch to cut out some shapes, and I did notice a little tearing along the edges. I tried a different punch (a circle) and got a nice clean cut. I tried some small, intricate flowers and it was kind of a mess. Bottom line when punching vinyl- make sure your punch is sharp and your design is not too fussy and you'll be fine.

Of course I had to try some electronic cutters, so I used my Slice to cut out a shamrock to use as a stencil for some fabric painting. I burnished the vinyl well on the sticky glass mat, and got a lovely cut.

Of course, I tried out this vinyl on my Cricut, as well, and was not disappointed. Using the magic formula of "3" for speed and "3" for pressure, I got lovely, fine detailed cuts. I used a them to make decals for my vases for some seasonal decor!

So are you sold on vinyl yet? To recap, here are some of it's uses:
  • Stencils for fabric painting
  • Reusable stencils for glass etching
  • Decor for painted walls
  • Decals for mirrors and glass
  • Stickers for papercrafts
  • Dressing up metal objects
There are so many fun options! And now for the final evalutions

Pros:
  • removable
  • re-positionable
  • works with many cutting systems
  • often re-usable (like stencils)
  • economical
  • wide range of colors
  • great for upcycling/recycling objects
Cons:
  • might not work with intricate paper punches
  • not necessarily archival- don't use on heirloom photos
  • might need some warming to completely remove (like a hairdryer)

I hope you enjoyed their review.

We are now stocking a good range of coloured Silhouette vinyls & the new Fuzzy finish in stock at great prices.

You can check them out HERE.

Thanks for stopping by,  

Evelyn











 

































1 comment:

  1. This medium with embossing looks really great and certainly worth trying. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10